Vanilla cream caramel
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 80 g sugar
- 400 g milk
- 100 g sugar.
• Lightly grease the edges of each mould with butter.
• Place the following in a small pan (in unsoldered copper, if possible or steel with a thick bottom): 100 g sugar and two tablespoons of water. Heat the mixture until it turns golden brown. Pour it into the moulds, turning them so that the sides are covered in caramel.
• Bring the milk to the boil, together with a vanilla pod (scored lengthways).
• Beat together the eggs and sugar, then slowly add the boiling milk.
• Divide the mixture between the moulds. Cover with foil (or greaseproof paper) and place in the Steamer. Cook for around 30-40 minutes (according to the size of the moulds).
• Chill in the fridge, then turn onto small plates and serve.
Useful information: this is one of the least rich versions of the many types of baked custard. To make it creamier and more substantial, it is possible to add one or two egg yolks; these will make the mixture softer, while egg whites will tend to make it more solid. To check cooking, insert a skewer into the custard, which is ready if the skewer comes out clean.