VeloutÈ of the four senses
- 3 or 4 leeks
- 2 or 3 medium-sized potatoes
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 100 g. pearl barley
- 100 g. fresh cream
- a bunch of chives
- extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- one bayleaf
- parsley stalks
• Cut the leeks in rings, wash them, peel the potatoes, then wash and dice them.
• Put the dutch oven on medium heat, add the olive oil and then put in the leeks. After a few minutes, add the potatoes.
• Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring every now and then.
• Remove from the heat, add salt and pepper to taste and then purée the mixture.
• Prepare the vegetable stock: add a litre and a half to the same dutch oven, then add one onion, a carrot and a bit of celery, put in the bouquet garni (parsley stalks, a bay leaf and thyme) and two spoonfuls of salt, then boil on a high flame initially and then medium after the first 10 minutes; cook for about 30 minutes.
• press the vegetable stock through a sieve, keeping about 200 g. of it to one side.
• Heat the same dutch oven on a medium heat and add the purée of leeks and potatoes together with the stock; bring to the boil.
• Add the pearl barley and boil gently for about 40 minutes.
• Salt and pepper to taste, and add the fresh cream and chives.
• Serve hot or warm.
This cream can be served with croutons in place of the pearl barley, making it a soup.
The chives must be chopped with a knife or cut with scissors, never mill or press, and they should never be cooked.